Author: Melinda LaRose
Genre: Picture Book, Fantasy
Reading Level: Ages 3-5
Jake and the Never Land Pirates end up on a musical adventure when Captain Hook takes Cubby's harmonica. The adventure leads them to following the sound of the harmonica and making coconut maracas to trade with a monkey to get the harmonica back.
The book's pirate pledge is about asking nicely when you want something. The lesson is illustrated with the pirates saying Hook should have just asked them to be quiet instead of stealing the harmonica, as once they knew he was trying to nap they played him a lullaby rather than just making racket. However, the next page then has them glad he stole it because they met the monkey and jammed with him. Thus, it sort of dismisses the point while showing an example of looking at the bright side of situations.
Currently the board book version of Follow That Sound includes a code that can be used to get Jake's Never Land Shapes and Patterns from the iTunes App Store. The app has a story mode featuring the pirates on an adventure that involves a few games to develop and improve shape recognition and understanding of patterns. The games can also be played separately. There are also some tips for parents that provide ideas for more activities to help teach shapes. Note it only works on iPhones 4 and newer, iPad 2s and newer, and iPod touches 5th generation and newer.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of Jake and the Never Land Pirates
- Those interested in music and playing musical instruments. (Musical)
- The way the pirates decide to follow the sound when they lose sight of the monkey and how they make a trade to get the harmonica back are some of the ways the book helps provide examples of problem solving. (Logical-Mathematical)
- The book helps show working together as well as understanding and taking consideration of others feelings, especially when they realize the noise is disturbing Hook's nap and Cubby plays a lullaby. (Interpersonal)
- Make Coconut Maracas - This site also has other ideas for making maracas or you could just buy coconut maracas.
- Make a Wooden Harmonica
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Surfin' Turf by Melinda LaRose
- Disney Fairies: The Pirate Fairy Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Doc McStuffins: Leilani's Luau by Sheila Sweeney Higginson
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.