Genre: Picture Book
Reading Level: Ages 3 to 5
Multicultural: Doc McStuffins is an African American girl
Curriculum Subject: Math
Doc McStuffins: Time for Your Checkup can be a fun interactive book, especially if working on the concepts of counting to ten, shapes, and colors with fans of the show. The title is somewhat misleading, though, as it makes it seem like it might be about having a checkup and perhaps for helping kids be comfortable with having one of their own. It not only has pretty much nothing to do with having a check up other than the matching diagnosis page, but also the pages fail to connect into a story.
Despite the misleading title and each page being made more to standalone than go together, this book is still makes a decent choice for those that enjoy interacting with books. For one, each page prompts readers to look under the flap to find things. Secondly, the different prompts encourage working on concepts such as colors, counting, and shapes. Additionally, you can further the interaction by discussing what the made up diagnosis are referring to and encourage making educated guesses in where one would find the items that the counting prompt asks about.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of Doc McStuffins
- The interactive aspect of the flaps can make it appealing for those that like to discover through touch. (Bodily-Kinesthetic)
- The prompts that go along with the tasks can be used to help encourage problem solving and also can help draw in those that enjoy seek and find activities. (Logical-Mathematical)
- The illustrations can help visual learners with concepts, such as counting. (Spatial-Visual)
- Doc McStuffins Check-Up Checklist
- Doc's We Have a Diagnosis Matching Worksheet
- Lift-the-Flap Haunted House Craft - This concept can be used for other purposes to make your own lift-the-flap activities to work on concepts most relevant for the child's current learning. Here's an alphabet example.
- Disney Minnie: Pretty in Pink - A Lift-the-Flap Book by Bill Scollon
- Doc McStuffins: Caught Blue-Handed by Sheila Sweeny Higginson
- Doc McStuffins: Guess Who, Doc!
- Doc McStuffins: Leilani's Luau by Sheila Sweeney Higginson
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.
Post a Comment