Genre: Picture Book, Audiobook, Fantasy
Reading Level: Ages 3 to 7
The Pirate Fairy Read-Along Storybook and CD is based on the upcoming Disney Fairies: The Pirate Fairy movie, which comes out on DVD and Blu-ray on April 1, 2014. This is a picture book with a detailed plot closer to the chapter book based on the movie than the more simplified Meet Zarina World of Reading Level 1 reader. Thus, this picture book features most of the action from Zarina experimenting with making different colored pixie dust to running away to stealing the blue pixie dust and joining the pirates to Tinker Bell and her friends saving Zarina and foiling the pirates' plans.
This read-along book is great for kids learning to read as they can follow along as they listen to the CD read it to them. Even independent readers may enjoy listening to the CD as they follow along with the illustrations in the book because the CD not only reads the book, but it also features sound effects and background music.
I think this is the best movie tie-in book for The Pirate Fairy. For one, it is a good balance of simplifying the text for a picture book while still providing the details for most of the movie. Secondly, it can appeal to a wide variety of Disney Fairies fans including beginning readers, those that like to listen to stories whether they are independent readers or not, and auditory learners.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of the Disney Fairies
- The background music, sound effects, and voice actors on the CD may help encourage readers that are interested in music and/or are auditory learners. (Musical)
- The colorful illustrations that show the action of the plot can help draw in visual learners and with the CD reading the story they can be easier to enjoy as you hear the story. Visual learners beginning to read may also benefit from being able to see and follow the text as they listen to the CD. (Spatial-Visual)
- The fairies learning to use the other's talents when their talents get mixed up and them working together to get out of trouble are good examples of getting to understand others and effective teamwork that draws on different strengths. (Interpersonal)
- The Pirate Fairy Movie Activities - This page for the movie has some online games as well as activities such as making a magical pixie dust lamp, a connect-the-dots, and a coloring page.
- Disney Fairies: The Pirate Fairy - The Chapter Book by Stacia Deutsch
- Disney Fairies: The Pirate Fairy - Meet Zarina the Pirate Fairy by Lucy Rosen
- Disney Fairies Graphic Novel #3: Tinker Bell and the Day of the Dragon
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.
Post a Comment