Author: Marcy Kelman
Genre: Picture Books, Counting Books
Reading Level: Ages 3 to 5
Curriculum Subject: Math
In All Hands on Hooks Jake and the Never Land Pirates help Hook's crew get back eight of his hooks that were taken by an octopus. Each page features a flap to open that adds to the story. This mostly features what hooks are recovered on the page, but also includes some counting of doubloons as well as hooks recovered.
Overall this All Hands on Hooks takes readers on a fun adventure that emphasizes problem solving to recover the hooks. It also is an example of working together with Hook's crew and Jake and his friends cooperating. Lastly, the flaps and the questions in the text encourage active participation with the book.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Those that enjoy touching things may enjoy lifting the flaps in this book. (Bodily-Kinesthetic)
- The images behind the flaps that identify what each hook along with the active illustrations on the pages can help with understanding, especially for visual learners. (Spatial-Visual)
- Those that enjoy being part of the adventure may enjoy the questioning style of writing that encourages the reader to be part of the problem solving. (Logical-Mathematical)
- Design Your Own Hook - This book presents some interesting ideas for hooks that Captain Hook can use for different purposes. Encourage kids to design their own and perhaps even make up a story that uses it in a pirate adventure.
- Easy Octopus Craft
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates Coloring and Craft Printables
- Octopus Theme Preschool Activities
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates Birthday Bash - This book is about Jake's birthday and following a map of activities.
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates: The Croc Takes the Cake - This a picture reading book about Hook's birthday for emergent readers.
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Jake Hatches a Plan - This is another picture reading book for emergent readers. This one is about helping out hummingbirds.
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.