Author: Sheila Sweeny Higginson
Genre: Picture Book
Reading Level: Ages 3-5
Multicultural: Doc McStuffins is an African American girl.
My Huggy Valentine is a picture book based on the Doc McStuffins episode of the same name. The book is about Doc getting a new toy for Valentine's Day and Lambie feeling left out when her Valentine's Day party plans keep not going how she planned because of the new toy's involvement.
This book is not only a good book for Valentine's Day, but also for anytime kids are dealing with feelings of being left out. The book not only does a good job of illustrating how Lambie is feeling, but also how Doc notices and encourages her to share her feelings. It even has some good tips about sharing feelings on the back cover including expressing them through drawing or telling a story.
There are two pages of stickers that come with the book. They can be fun to share and/or use to make your own Valentine cards to give. One problem with them is the cover is designed with a cutout to show the sticker of the new toy. Thus, when that sticker is used the cover of the book is kind of odd with a white space or if you remove the page of stickers entirely, it ends up showing some words from of the author/illustrator information page. Additionally, the cutout ends up being easy to catch and get bent or torn, if you store them upright on a bookshelf.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of Doc McStuffins
- Those dealing with situations where they feel left out by friends that are spending time with other/new friends may relate to how Lambie feels and find this helpful in understanding and sharing their own feelings. (Intrapersonal)
- Visual learners may find the illustrations that show Lambie's emotions helpful as well as the recommendation to use drawing to express their feelings. (Spatial-Visual)
- Doc McStuffins Thank You Card
- Emotions & Feelings Preschool Lesson Plan
- My Huggy Valentine Coloring Page
- Watch the "My Huggy Valentine" episode
- Guess Who, Doc! - This is a peek-a-boo style book featuring characters from Doc McStuffins.
- Doc McStuffins: Loud Louie - This is a picture reading book that teaches about using your indoor voice.
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.