Genre: Picture Book
Reading Level: Ages 3 to 5
Flutter Bow Fun is a picture book about getting ready for a spring ling party at Minnie's Bow-tique, which is featured in the Disney Junior Minnie's Bow-Toons short-form show. The book is mainly about flutter bows (kind of like butterflies) leading to a mess, cleaning it up, and eventually leading to a more fun party because they are there.
Flutter Bow Fun is an interesting book at least from a visual perspective. It uses a multi-layered scene style with cutouts in the middles of pages and printed acetate sheets in some of the cutouts creating scenes with depth as well as a some glimpses forwards and backwards in the action. The way the flutter bows and balloons are on the clear acetate also give them more of a floating and flying look than you would get from a traditional book illustration.
The prose almost ruins the book, though. In particular, it uses a lot of contractions, which just does not seem appropriate. If it was just in the dialogue or a few times than maybe it would be okay, but it is on almost every page and at least at one point in a non-dialogue sentence. Other than that, though, it is not bad and in fact the instances of alliteration do make it an interesting read even if that can make it a tongue tying book to read aloud.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of Minnie Mouse, especially if they are familiar with Minnie's Bow Toons
- The multi-layered style of illustration makes this book much more interesting than it would otherwise be, especially for visual learners. (Spatial-Visual)
- Build a Butterfly Mobile - This Minnie's Bow Toon craft goes well with this book as the fluttering bows are a lot like butterflies.
- Flutterin' Butterfly Bow Game
- Make Your Own Bow - This is a project on the Minnie's Bow Toons website.
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.