Author: Catherine Hapka
Genre: Fantasy, Picture Books
Reading Level: Ages 3-6
Multicultural: While the book is about three fictional kingdoms, the dress of the different kingdoms appear to represent European, Asian, and the Middle Eastern cultures.
The Royal Games is a picture book about Sofia teaming up with her stepbrother James to compete with other kids at the tri-kingdom picnic. James is a poor sport, which embarrasses Sofia and ultimately causes the other kids to quit the competition. Sofia shows James how the adults are playing together and having fun whether they are winning or losing. Thus, James learns to be a good sport and the book's princess lesson is that "A true princess plays with fairness and grace."
This Sofia the First book can be a good book to read to/with kids to learn about how to be good sports, especially if they are known to be poor sports and/or are dealing with peers that are sore winners or losers. Beyond just the storyline, there is also the illustrations that portray the various emotions of the different kids that can be used to discuss how one feels when others are a overly boastful winner or sore loser. Some illustrations are also good examples of being good sports, such as cheering on others.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of Sofia the First
- Those that enjoy sports and picnic games may relate to the fantasy versions shown in the book (Flying Horseshoes, Bewitching Bowling, etc.). (Bodily-Kinesthetic)
- Visual learners may find the emotions represented in the illustrations helpful in understanding being a good versus a poor sport. (Spatial-Visual)
- Those that have been or are poor sports and/or know others that are may find this book helpful for understanding how to have friendly competition and have fun together. (Interpersonal)
- Flying Horseshoe Coloring Page
- Mickey & Friends Bowling Pins Papercraft - Make the bowling pins from the printable templates and practice being a good sport with a miniature bowling competition. There is also a Disney Villains version here.
- Sofia the First Printables - This part of the Disney Junior site includes coloring pages, crafts, and other activities.
- Sportmanship & Playing Fair Lesson Plans - These are some useful rubrics and lesson plans for working on skills related to playing fair.
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.
Post a Comment