Author: Jon Colton Barry
Genre: Picture Book, Fiction
Reading Level: Ages 4 to 8
In My Funny Valentine, Phineas and Ferb help Candice's boyfriend, Jeremy, make a special Valentine's Day surprise (a gondola ride) after Dr. Doofenshmirtz has stolen all the Valentine's presents in Danville. In the side story, Agent P takes on Dr. Doofenshmirtz and frees all the stolen Valentine's presents.
This is a great story about brothers doing something nice for their sister, especially considering how she is usually portrayed as a somewhat mean and annoying tattletale. Thus, it can be a great read for siblings that may not always get along and even if they do it can perhaps inspire them to make or do something nice for each other. The stickers that come with the book could even be used to decorate a Valentine's Day card.
Overall My Funny Valentine is a fun picture book to read with children, especially around Valentine's Day. The colorful pictures enhance the story with facial expressions that show the various moods and images that reflect the actions of what is going on.
One issue with My Funny Valentine is the title is misleading. It makes it seem like the gift or story would be rather humorous, but there is not anything funny about the Valentine. It's just a thoughtful one and the only part that could perhaps be considered humorous is when Agent P and Dr. Doofenshmirtz battle with Valentine's gifts as weapons.
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Fans of the Phineas and Ferb TV series
- Those with siblings may relate to how Phineas and Ferb work together and/or how their sister is always telling on them. (Interpersonal)
- Those that like to be creative and make things even if not as on grand of a scale as Phineas and Ferb tend to.
- Buy Phineas and Ferb Valentines to Give
- Phineas and Ferb Bookmarks Craft
- Perry Cupcake Recipe
- Printable Phineas and Ferb Valentines
- More Printable Phineas and Ferb Valentines
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates: The Croc Takes the Cake - This book has a similar lesson about doing something nice for someone else with the Never Land Pirates making a cake for Hook's birthday.
Subscribe below to be notified by e-mail when new reviews are posted.