Series: Disney Faeries Graphic Novel #3
Genre: Fantasy, Graphic Novels
Reading Level: Ages 6 to 11
Tinker Bell and the Day of the Dragon is a graphic novel with five different stories featuring the Disney Fairies in Pixie Hollow. The stories are introduced in a style of Tinker Bell and her fairy friends sharing and reliving the memories of their adventures. These little teasers are good for piquing the readers interest to keep reading to find out what happens.
Many of the stories in this book illustrate working together, especially how different people may have different talents and how you can draw on each others talents for solutions as well as collectively use them to make new things. For example, in "The Cobweb" Prilla messes up the queen's bed and in the adventure to get new cobwebs to fix it the fairies use their talents to not only get out of more messes and sticky situations, but also make a new gift for the queen's arrival. Cooperation is also specifically highlighted in how the different teams items are combined to make the prize at the end of the treasure hunt in "Fairy Riddles."
Types of Readers Book Might Appeal To & Multiple Intelligence Categories
- Tinker Bell and Disney Fairies Fans
- Beginning readers and visual learners can be drawn in to the graphic novel style with its colorful images that tell the story scene by scene with the dialogue. (Visual-Spatial)
- Riddle lovers will enjoy the riddle/scavenger hunt "Fairy Riddles" story (Logical-Mathematical)
- Those that feel they are different and have trouble explaining it to others can relate to the "Talents After a Fashion" story in which Prilla struggles to describe the Mainland to the other fairies in order to have a dress made that represents her talent. (Intrapersonal)
- Those that enjoy doing things with their friends and having their own adventures can be inspired by how the fairies work together to solve problems. (Interpersonal)
- Autumn Leaves Lantern Craft - This is a good craft to go with "The Cobweb" story.
- Disney Fairies Games & Activities - This part of the official Disney Fairies site features some online games, printable activities, and coloring pages. The Vidia's Scavenger Hunt activity goes great with the "Fairy Riddles" story.
- Pixie Dust Tree Craft - This craft is a good fit with the "Day of the Dragon" story.